Glenwood Springs looks to fill seats on boards, commissions |

Glenwood Springs looks to fill seats on boards, commissions

John Gardner
Post Independent Staff
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado – The city of Glenwood Springs is looking for people to fill vacancies and expired terms on various boards and commissions.

There are 29 seats on 11 boards and commissions that will be up for appointment in February.

According to City Planner Jill Peterson, some of the vacancies, such as with the Housing Commission, have been vacant for all of 2009. And now, the problem is just getting worse with currently held seats expiring this February.

“We already had some vacancies that carried over from last year,” Peterson said.

Peterson said the Housing Commission, which currently has six of the eight seats vacant, had several people resign in 2009. Even the past Housing Commission chairman tendered his resignation after moving from Glenwood Springs late last year, Peterson said.

And finding enough interested people to fill all the openings is proving more difficult during tough economic times, she said.

“There just seems to be a lot of turnover with people leaving the area,” Peterson said.

However, Peterson is hoping to see more interest in the open Housing Commission seats this year. She hopes that with the planning department working toward adoption of a public housing plan this February, that more people will be interested to participate.

“One thing we did last year was started a housing plan to narrow down some of the goals,” Peterson said. “I think that we will have more interest (in the Housing Commission) with these goals.”

Peterson said that the planning department is looking to provide housing for all income levels in the city, and to create a balanced and more diverse resident base.

“Right now the affordable housing issue is really problematic,” she said. “Employees are having a difficult time staffing their businesses because of the lack of affordable housing in town.”

Those types of issues demand people who are serious in devoting time and energy into development of Glenwood Springs.

People interested in volunteering for a board or commission can contact City Clerk Robin Unsworth at 384-6403.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User