Graham Mesa Elementary lockout ‘a big nothing’ | PostIndependent.com

Graham Mesa Elementary lockout ‘a big nothing’

Graham Mesa Elementary School
Garfield Re-2 School District |

Graham Mesa Elementary School in Rifle was on lockout for several hours Monday while police conducted an investigation related to the school.

The lockout was lifted just after 3 p.m. Monday. After talking to everybody involved, it was determined there was absolutely no threat, Rifle Police Chief John Dyer said Monday evening.

Confusion stemmed from action taken against an employee at the school last week.

The employee, out of frustration, made some remarks that apparently were taken out of context and altered as they were relayed. By the time the remarks made it back to administrators, they aroused enough concern to contact law enforcement, according to Dyer.

Dyer did not specify what action was taken against the employee last week, whether the person was still employed by the school district or what the employee was purported to have said. Just before 2 p.m., Dyer said officers had finally contacted the person and were going to interview him. He compared the situation to a game of telephone, in which the story changes as it passes from person to person.

“It’s really kind of worked into a big nothing,” Dyer said.

The school went on lockout around 9:30 a.m. Monday as a precaution, according to a post on the Police Department’s Facebook page.

Around 11:30, an email was sent to Graham Mesa parents, explaining the lockout procedure and notifying them that the lockout was still in place.

“Lockout means that the building perimeter is secured, and that school is occurring normally within the building. Only authorized personnel are being allowed in and out of the building through the front doors,” the email read. “Be assured that school is occurring normally within the building and that students and staff are safe.”


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.



News

ANB Bank to appeal P&Z decision

September 18, 2019

After the planning and zoning commission unanimously denied ANB Bank’s proposal to construct a new facility in the city’s 900 block, the Glenwood Springs City Council will hear the banks appeal case Thursday at its regularly scheduled meeting.



See more