Grand Junction dog dies due to strychnine | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Grand Junction dog dies due to strychnine

GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado – Grand Junction authorities are trying to locate the source of the lethal poison strychnine, blamed for the death of a man’s pet dog.

Lower Valley Fire Protection District Chief Frank Cavaliere says the unidentified man reported that his dog came home with a package of meat, and that the dog later became ill.

The man took the dog to a veterinarian’s office, where it died. The vet attributed the death to strychnine.



Fire officials from Lower Valley and Grand Junction are trying to learn if the strychnine came from 30 pounds of meat, found in an old freezer on private property.

Cavaliere says if that was the source of the poison, the meat might’ve been used as coyote bait.



Wildlife officials say letting dogs run loose elevates the risk of exposure to such bait.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User