Gunman still at large after shooting Vail ski instructor with pellet gun |

Gunman still at large after shooting Vail ski instructor with pellet gun

VAIL ” Matthew Bourke was teaching a ski lesson Monday when he saw someone pointing a gun at him from the chairlift, police say.

The incident happened Monday at about 12:15 p.m., when Bourke, 26, a ski instructor for the Lionshead ski and snowboard school was with his class of 12 children on a trail above Lionshead, Eagle County Sheriff’s Deputy Gianni Robinson said.

“(Bourke) had observed a person on the chairlift hold out what appeared to be a rifle. So he dove into the snow in anticipation of being shot,” Robinson said. “He was afraid for his life when the firearm was aimed at him.”

Bourke did not return calls left at the ski school Tuesday. But Robinson said Bourke was shocked.

From the distance, Robinson said, Bourke couldn’t tell the weapon pointed at him was a BB gun. One of the BB gun’s pellets hit Bourke’s left shoulder, but didn’t pierce his jacket. He told the deputy he felt pain in his shoulder, and he also suffered a large welt and bruise.

The shooting is believed to be an isolated incident, Robinson said.

“He’s dumbfounded,” Robinson said of the instructor. “He doesn’t have any idea who would try to hurt him. He said he has no enemies.”

Bourke told police the suspect, who is still at large, was a man on skis.

“What’s concerning is that we don’t have any leads or identity,” Robinson said.

Robinson said police were called about an hour after the shooting.

Bourke, who had noticed the suspect was on chair 8, called the chairlift operator to tell him to stop the lift, Robinson said.

“By the time the chair operator stopped the chairs, it was too late, the suspect had already left,” Robinson said.

Vail Security and Vail Ski Patrol were informed but they were unable to locate the suspect. Bourke continued his class with the children until 3:30 p.m. and didn’t go to the hospital for treatment.

A pellet gun is considered a firearm, Robinson said.

“We don’t know what kind of weapon this was,” he said. “It was a short-barrel firearm.”

The suspect could be charged with aggravated second degree assault and the use of a deadly weapon, which is a felony that can carry a sentence of up to 16 years in prison, District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User