Heater failure suspected in fire at well | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Heater failure suspected in fire at well

SILT – A fire at a natural gas well site south of Silt Saturday morning may have been caused by a heater failure, authorities believe.Fire Chief Brit McLin of the Burning Mountains Fire Protection District said three storage tanks and other equipment burned in the fire. It began at about 4 a.m. at a well site on Dry Hollow Road south of Chipperfield Lane.No one was injured in the fire, which was “pretty well dissipated” within a few hours, McLin said.”We dumped a lot of water on it,” he said.About 20 Burning Mountain firefighters responded in seven vehicles to the fire.McLin said a preliminary investigation suggests a malfunction by one of the heaters used in the tanks to separate oil from gas.”Apparently one of them was an overachiever,” he said.He said the fire occurred fairly close to someone’s home but didn’t threaten it.McLin wasn’t sure Monday who owned the well, and didn’t have an estimate on the cost of the damage.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User