Huskies, Demons battle to 1-all draw |

Huskies, Demons battle to 1-all draw

Chris Freud
Vail Daily
Post Independent
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
SPT BMS 3 ZM 9-22-11Zach Mahone / Zach@zachmahone.comAmando Sanchez of Glenwood Springs dribbles past Garret Wilson Diaz of Battle Mountain Thursday night at their match in Edwards.

EDWARDS, Colorado – And just think, they get to do this again in six days.

Battle Mountain and Glenwood Springs battled for 90 minutes and it wasn’t enough as the squads settled for a 1-1 boys soccer draw in their first meeting of the season Thursday night in Edwards.

The next game for both teams? They reconvene at Stubler Memorial Field on Thursday for Round 2 and Glenwood’s homecoming.

“It’s like a Champions League tie, kind of,” Huskies coach David Cope joked.

Judging by the body language of the players coming off the field, this draw went to the visiting Demons.

“I’ve got to take my heart medication and go home and then take some blood thinner. That was huge,” Demons coach John Mount joked. “That was big tie for us. We needed this momentum for our season.

“We’ve made some adjustments and the boys are really responding well. Things are starting to click. We feel like it’s a win for us.”

On form, especially in the second half, Mount’s probably right.

The Demons possessed and passed a bit better, but as has been Glenwood’s issue for the last year or two, finding the net was a problem.

Despite Battle Mountain’s uncharacteristic vertical play, the Huskies got more chances in the end.

“I thought it was a little hectic in the second half,” Cope said. “As Battle Mountain-Glenwood games tend to do, it got a little emotional and a little bit up and down. Sometimes, that takes away from the quality. I thought at the end of the first overtime that we looked good.”

That’s because the Huskies’ Roberto Diaz nearly had the golden goal at the beginning of the second overtime, only to be stuffed by Demons goalie Caine Albrecht.

In regulation, Glenwood almost had the game-winner when Huskies’ keeper Christian Espinoza, who otherwise was flawless, scrambled from the goal too far, leaving the net wide open, but the Demons failed to score.

Hunter Brown also had a promising shot in the extra sessions. He was laid out at the end of the game, but seemed to be in one piece as the teams exchanged handshakes after the game.

The Huskies got on the board in the 24th minute on a run down the left side. Diaz fed Alex Trujillo for the finish.

Glenwood Springs responded five minutes later as Kellin Casey jumped on a loose ball in the Huskies’ end and feathered it to Kevin Hartmann, who crushed the ball into the left side of the Battle Mountain goal.

The Huskies’ Chris Shea got in a scuffle early with a Glenwood player while setting up a wall on a Demons’ free kick. Shea got a yellow card, and did not return to the game on what Cope called a “coaching decision.”

Battle Mountain is 4-1-2 overall and 3-1-1 in the Slope, while the Demons are 4-2-2 and 1-2-1.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.