Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
Joyce VanDyken passed away in Rifle, Colorado on Feb. 28, 2011 with her daughter and son-in-law by her side. Joyce was born on Aug. 24, 1949 in Grand Rapids, MI, to Claude and Genevieve VanDyken. At the age of 18, Joyce moved to Crested Butte, Colorado where she had her daughter and lived for many years. Joyce also made her home in Glenwood Springs where she worked at Penelope’s and True Value. Joyce also resided in Silt, Grand Junction and Paonia. She eventually came back to Glenwood Springs so she could be near her grandchildren. She was a free spirit who loved to experience new places. Everyone that knew Joyce will always remember her for her tenacity that helped her fight the odds against her cancer and helped her live her life the way she wanted. She loved camping , hiking and horseback riding – anything that had to do with nature and being outdoors. But the joys of her life were her two grandchildren, whom she loved deeply.
Joyce is survived by her daughter Oliviya Daugherty; son-in-law Mathew; and two grandchildren, Landon and Ella of Rifle, Colorado. Also, surviving is her mother Genevieve VanDyken; her sisters Joanne (William) Dipp, Janice (Gary) Nickels, Jaclyn (James) Huntington and Jane (Don) Randall; two brothers John (Ina) VanDyken, and Jerry VanDyken; and brother-in-law Tom Stebbins. Several nieces, nephews, and great-nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her father Claude VanDyken; sister Jill Stebbins; nephew Adam Dipp; and sister-in-law Rhonda VanDyken.
A celebration of her life will be held this spring in Crested Butte, Colorado. Joyce will be deeply missed by her many friends and family.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to her family to help with funeral expenses and a memorial. Donations can be sent to 0420 Mesa Dr. Rifle, CO 81650
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
The Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge experienced vandalism in the form of significant water damage after a man removed a pipe valve with a fire extinguisher flooding four hallways. The lodge however remains open and operational.