‘Leftover’ hunting licenses go on sale at CPW offices, retail shops on Aug. 14 | PostIndependent.com

‘Leftover’ hunting licenses go on sale at CPW offices, retail shops on Aug. 14

Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Post Independent
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

Thousands of big game hunting licenses that did not sell during the license application and draw process will go on sale to the public at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 14, at Colorado Parks and Wildlife offices and more than 700 hunting license retailers statewide.

In addition to the approximately 34,000 elk licenses, 6,300 deer licenses and 6,300 pronghorn licenses that will be available, more than 900 bear licenses and 120 leftover fall turkey licenses will also go on sale Tuesday morning.

Leftover license day is one of the biggest hunting license sales days for many hunting license sales locations.

Hunters can find a list of wildlife offices and license retailers online at wildlife.state.co.us. Glenwood Springs’ office is located at 0088 Wildlife Way, which is just off Interstate 70’s Canyon Creek exit (mile marker 109).

License purchasers who are out of state or unable to get to a license agent can call the toll-free license sales number at (800) 244-5613, beginning at 9 a.m. on Tuesday.

It is important to note that online purchasing of leftover licenses is delayed until the following day to keep distribution fair. Internet sales of leftover licenses do not begin until 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 15.

A complete list of leftover licenses that go on sale Tuesday is available at wildlife.state.co.us.

Hunters should check the current list to make sure that the licenses they are seeking will be available.

Once license sales begin, the online list will be updated every 15 minutes.

Hunters planning to purchase a leftover license should come prepared with their driver’s license and hunter education card. State law requires that anyone purchasing a hunting or fishing license provide their social security number.

Hunters interested in purchasing private land-only licenses must obtain permission from landowners before they can hunt on private land.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User