Local News Briefs
Getting out of jails isn’t supposed to be easy. On Tuesday, getting into Garfield County’s jail was a bit more difficult, too.Sheriff Lou Vallario said the jail’s central control board malfunctioned, causing a problem with the electronic operation of the front doors.As a result, inmates’ families and others who typically use the jail’s main entrance had to be routed around back, to a door usually reserved for bondsmen.Vallario was hoping the board would be fixed later in the day.The board is used to control numerous jail operations, such as opening cells and operating security cameras. Those other operations were not impeded Tuesday, he said.He told county commissioners Tuesday that he has been looking at updating the control board, but a new one would cost about $500,000.
EAGLE COUNTY – Fire restrictions set in place by the Eagle County Sheriff and local fire authorities earlier in the summer have been lifted. Local fire authorities have monitored weather conditions throughout the summer and have come to agreement that recent conditions appear stable for recreational fires on public lands. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land remains under restriction. As always, nonrecreational burning requires a burning permit, due to state air quality requirements. Anybody who wishes to obtain a nonrecreational burning permit should contact Eagle County Wildfire Mitigation. Officials remind citizens that explosive devices requiring fuses, including fireworks, are not legal in Colorado without special permission. A person arrested and convicted of the use of these devices would be guilty of a class four felony.
The Kroger Co. is voluntarily recalling its Kroger brand mustard potato salad and southern-style potato salad from its King Soopers and City Market stores in Colorado because they may contain the E. coli bacterium. To date, no illnesses have been reported. The recalled products have a “Best If Used By” date of Sept. 5, 2007.The E. coli bacterium is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea and dehydration. The very young, seniors and people with compromised immune systems are most susceptible to foodborne illnesses.This voluntary product withdrawal was issued as a precautionary measure after the Ohio Department of Agriculture tested a sample of the product during routine food safety sampling and found it positive for E. coli. According to a company spokesperson, the products have been removed from shelves in stores throughout Colorado. Kroger officials encourage consumers to check their refrigerators and freezers for these products and, if found, to return them to the store for a full refund. Consumers with questions about the recall should contact the company at (866) 221-4141 or visit http://www.kroger.com.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User