Local News Briefs | PostIndependent.com

Local News Briefs

Submitted Photo From left, Glenwood Springs city councilors Russ Arensman, Dave Sturges, Mayor Bruce Christensen (in yellow shirt), Matthew Steckler and Stephen Bershenyi, and city manager Jeff Hecksel attend a groundbreaking for the city's new Wastewater Treatment Plant on May 21.

Work on the city of Glenwood Springs Wastewater Treatment Facility began Monday.

The city awarded the $22.3 million construction contract to Salida-based Moltz Construction.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held on May 21. The new plant, located in West Glenwood Springs south of the Colorado River, marks the final development phase of a five-year project to relocate and upgrade the city’s current treatment facility. The project is scheduled for completion in 2012.

“As the largest capital project the city has embarked upon, we are excited to see the new wastewater treatment facility being built,” said Glenwood Engineer Mike McDill.

Local engineering firm Schmueser Gordon Meyer (SGM) was selected in 2007 to design the new facility and oversee construction. To date a new access road has been built, and a force main, which will convey wastewater from the current treatment plant site to the new site, has been started. According to Louis Meyer, president and CEO of SGM, the plant has state-of-the-art mechanical, physical and biological processes that will treat wastewater to levels that exceed the levels of treatment required under the Clean Water Act to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the Colorado River. Additionally, the plant can treat up to 1.95 million gallons per day on an annual average, which is twice the current flow rate at the existing facility.

Contractor Villalobos Construction began Monday by clearing all the construction traffic cones from Grand Avenue. By noon, all traffic lanes were again open to traffic, according to project spokesman Tom Newland.

Newland said that the project is “essentially” complete; however, there will be some minor lane closures over the next couple of days so crews can complete some cleanup work.

On Monday, the Colorado Department of Transportation reopened the intersection at Grand Avenue and 23rd Street, and the traffic light is again fully operational.

The project was the second phase in the Grand Avenue Paving Project that continued concrete lanes on the half-mile section from Sayre Park through 24th Street on Grand Avenue.

At a public hearing on Feb. 16, the Board of County Commissioners unanimously approved the modification and increase in certain charges at the West Garfield County Landfill.

Changes are as follows:

• in-county waste, users that reside in Garfield County, from $48 a ton to $68 a ton

• out-of-county, users that do not reside in Garfield County, from $96 a ton to $136 a ton

• in-county sludge, from $0.12 a gallon to $0.15 a gallon

• out-of-county sludge, from unaccepted to $0.30 a gallon

• Sorting fee minimum $50, maximum $400

An injured skier who was the focus of a search-and-rescue effort Sunday evening made it to a backcountry hut Monday under his own power, according to the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office.

The skier arrived at the Lindley Hut, south of Aspen, at about 6:25 a.m. He had previously been reported injured at the base of Star Peak, also south of Aspen.

Authorities did not release information about the skier’s identity, but according to Mountain Rescue Aspen, he arrived at the hut dehydrated and suffering some pain. Mountain Rescue members spent Sunday night at the hut, intending to try again to rescue the skier on Monday morning.

The skier was out of the backcountry by 6:45 a.m. and intended to seek a medical evaluation on his own, according to the sheriff’s office.

Authorities were notified of the injured man at 5:30 p.m. Sunday. It was determined he was at the base of Star Peak, south of Ashcroft in the Castle Creek Valley.

Mountain Rescue was summoned and two unsuccessful attempts to rescue the skier with a helicopter were made Sunday evening, including one after dark. High winds thwarted the helicopter operations, so rescuers spent the night in the hut, intending to launch a rescue early Monday, just as the injured skier arrived on his own, according to the sheriff’s office.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User