Local Sports Briefs
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
The annual Elks Hoop Shoot Free Throw Contest is slated for Saturday, Jan. 8, at Glenwood Springs Middle School.
The contest is for boys and girls 8 to 13 years old. Registration runs from 9-10 a.m. on Jan. 8, with the competition beginning at 10 a.m. The 8-9 age division starts shooting at 10 a.m., with 10-11 competition following at 11 a.m. and the 12-13 age division contest starting at noon.
There is no fee to participate.
Contact John Pelland at 379-5625 for more information.
Aspen Parks and Recreation will hosting a 5-on-5 co-ed indoor soccer league beginning Jan. 13. Games will be played Thursday nights between 7-10 p.m. at the Aspen Middle School gymnasium.
Each team will play seven regular season games. An end-of-season, double-elimination tournament will be held March 3-10. Only top-four team are eligible to play in the end-of-season tournament.
All games will be officiated by a certified official. The team fee is $300 and space is limited to a maximum of six teams.
The 2011 Fitness Challenge is coming to the Glenwood Springs Community Center.
This program offers fitness assessments, informational wellness seminars, organized activities to help you experience different fitness opportunities, a comprehensive final fitness challenge/healthy potluck/recipe exchange and more. This is a chance to increase your level of personal fitness, awareness and knowledge and to earn prizes.
Visit http://www.glenwoodrec.com or call 384-6300 for more information on this program, which is sponsored by the Bank of Colorado and Fitness Systems, Inc.
Looking for ways to improve your overall personal wellness? Join the Glenwood Springs Community Center for a free series of informational classes covering various topics relevant to wellness. No pre-registration is required.
For class descriptions and speaker information, visit http://www.glenwoodrec.com.
Topics, dates and times:
• Heart attack/stroke prevention, Jan. 11, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Weight management, Jan. 12, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Stop smoking, Jan. 18, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Benefits and guidelines to exercise, Jan. 19, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• SMART goal setting, Jan. 25, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• How do your genes fit? … Nutrigenomics, Feb. 1, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Recreation and leisure benefits, Feb. 2, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Your bridge to holistic happiness, Feb. 8, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Basic personal finance planning, Feb. 9, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Health by design, Feb. 16, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Aromatherapy in managing stress, Feb. 23, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Nutrition for weight loss/disease prevention, March 2, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Allergies: A hidden cause of illness, March 16, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User