2 arrested in ‘90-120 mph’ chase down Grand, 82 | PostIndependent.com

2 arrested in ‘90-120 mph’ chase down Grand, 82

Paul Henderson, left, and Jeremiah Slaughenhoupt
Staff Photo |

Two men were arrested last week after they led Glenwood Springs police on a high-speed chase down Grand Avenue and Highway 82 following an assault in downtown Glenwood.

When it was over, with the suspects arrested in Redstone, two other cars had been hit, but no one was hurt. Paul Henderson, 24, of Rifle and Jeremiah Slaughenhoupt, 24, of Glenwood, were arrested.

“The vehicle was swerving all over the highway, passing cars recklessly and traveling at speeds from 90-120 mph,” a Glenwood police officer wrote in the pair’s arrest affidavit.

The incident began when police received a call just after 11 p.m. Sept. 10 that a man walking home from work at a downtown restaurant had been attacked by two men in a silver Pontiac Grand Am.

A Glenwood Springs officer spotted the Grand Am turning south onto the Grand Avenue bridge. The driver failed to stop when another officer tried to pull him over. Both squad cars activated their lights and sirens and pursued the Pontiac as it turned left onto Ninth Street, right onto Cooper Avenue, then took 10th Street back to Grand.

From there, the car blazed down Grand at speeds “in excess of 90 mph,” the arrest affidavit said. With no Colorado State Patrol trooper in the area, three Glenwood police cars continued to pursue the Grand Am as it left town to the south on Highway 82.

The fleeing suspects struck a car as they weaved down Highway 82 and another after turning down Highway 133 at Carbondale. Glenwood police quit the chase at the intersection of Highway 82 and 133, while Carbondale police followed the car as far as Village Lane, where construction begins.

“Once they started on 133, it didn’t justify the risk to chase them all over,” said Glenwood Springs Police Lt. Bill Kimminau. “You weigh the benefits to the risks at any pursuit, and nine times out of 10 the risks don’t outweigh the benefits. Sooner or later they show up somewhere and get caught without the chase.”

Henderson and Slaughenhoupt were later spotted trying to change a tire in Redstone, and were detained by Pitkin County sheriff’s personnel. Although both men denied driving the car, Henderson was in possession of the keys and was identified by one of Glenwood officers as the driver.

Henderson was arrested early on the morning of Sept. 11 for felony vehicular eluding and driving as habitual traffic offender, as well as misdemeanor third-degree assault, reckless endangerment, reckless driving, possession of an illegal weapon and accident involving damage. He was released Sunday with a $10,000 bond and a mandatory protection order.

Slaughenhoupt was arrested for menacing and conspiracy to commit a crime, and as of Tuesday evening remained at the Garfield County Jail with a $2,000 bond.

According to Kimminau, Glenwood police occasionally pursue suspects outside of city limits but always leave part of their force in town. In general, although suspects sometimes attempt to evade police during traffic stops, they generally don’t go far.

“A full-blown high-speed chase is really pretty rare. Maybe not even once a year,” he said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User