Bite it with Britt column: Estrogen dominance is a key factor for fat loss
Bite it with Britt
Struggling with fat loss? Consider estrogen dominance as a factor.
Estrogen dominance is a condition where a woman can have deficient, normal or excessive estrogen, but has little or no progesterone to balance its effects in the body. Even a woman with low estrogen levels can have estrogen dominance symptoms if she doesn’t have enough progesterone, making it nearly impossible to burn belly fat.
There are several different ways you can decrease estrogen dominance holistically. Here are some tips.
1. Exercise: You must exercise to regulate all hormones. However, strength training is particularly important and most effective during the estrogen-dominant follicular phase (days 6-14). Strength training is also what many women eliminate from their workout routine. Hit the weights, ladies.
2. Clean diet: Whole food nutrition is key. Eat foods that do not need a nutrition label — foods with only one ingredient. Most processed foods contain toxins that impede hormonal function in the body. Get vigilant with food quality to help control hormone function.
3. Support your liver: Your liver makes testosterone and estrogen. It regulates levels and excretes excess hormones. Broccoli, turmeric and milk thistle help to support the liver. Avoiding sugar and alcohol will help the liver to do its job instead of processing these two poisonous substances.
4. Eat more fiber: Estrogen is secreted from the bowels, so if you don’t get enough fiber it can be “reabsorbed” instead of removed. Digestive function is important for everything and does not work without adequate amounts of natural food fiber. Raspberries, blackberries, avocados and green peas are very high in fiber and delicious.
5. Decrease stress: Stress is the number one factor for health. For women this means investing time and energy in yourself. Some ladies need to read a book, do yoga, take a hot relaxing bath or something similar to reduce stress, while others decrease stress by taking a hard boot camp class, or boxing it out. The key is to know what stress-management technique works for your body.
The truth is that millions of women suffer from estrogen dominance without even knowing it. Many hormone disruptors found in toxins like cosmetics, plastic containers, unfiltered water, regular food or pre-packaged diet foods can make it even worse. This is all the more reason to “tune-up” the behaviors that cause the symptoms.
Brittney Glock is an integrative fitness nutrition specialist and personal trainer at Midland Fitness. Her expertise in women’s fitness and nutrition is based on years of living a healthy lifestyle as a working mother of three. Britt can be reached at 945-4440 or midland-fitness.com.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.