Bridge project affects W. Glenwood exit
Improvements to the West Glenwood Interstate 70 interchange are underway this week and will continue throughout the remainder of the summer construction season.
The Exit 114 westbound on-ramp and the eastbound off-ramp will be widened and lengthened to accommodate increased traffic during the detour phase of the Grand Avenue Bridge project, the Colorado Department of Transportation said. The changes are permanent, so the wider ramps will remain in place after the bridge project is finished.
During construction, all traffic will be in a one-lane configuration around both the north and south roundabouts. Traffic will be reduced to one lane on the westbound on-ramp and one lane on the eastbound off-ramp during construction. Drivers are encouraged to use Exit 116, which is now open, to alleviate congestion at Exit 114 during peak travel times.
“CDOT is estimating up to 10 minute delays during peak hours at the Exit 114 interchange and slower traffic is anticipated around the roundabout.” CDOT project public information manager Tom Newland said.
Work on the 114 interchange was originally anticipated in 2017 but has been moved up to make the overall project schedule more efficient.
• Adding a second lane on the westbound on-ramp to ease merging onto I-70.
• Adding a second lane on the eastbound off-ramp, which will increase queuing capacity.
• Concrete islands will be removed and paved to create a flat surface.
• The roundabout truck apron will be removed and widened.
• The shoulders will be widened to increase the turn area for large trucks.