Carbondale police said to have found more sex-assault victims
Post Independent Staff
CARBONDALE, Colorado ‹ Police now have identified more possible victims in a
local case of alleged sexual abuse of children, according to a town
But the Carbondale Police Department declined to confirm or deny whether
that is true, when contacted by a reporter on Monday.
Gustavo Flores-Rosario, 53, of Carbondale, was arrested and jailed on April
22 on charges that he sexually molested an 18-year-old girl, and suspicion
that he may have molested other victims.
A memo sent by Town Administrator Jay Harrington to the town trustees last
week informed the trustees that ³the police department has identified six
people who may be victims regarding the sex assault case,² and that the
police would be interviewing the potential victims at some future time.
³I can¹t talk about the case, because it is still under investigation,² said
Police Chief Gene Schilling on Monday morning.
He said any further information about the case would most likely coincide
with the filing of any further charges against Flores-Rosario.
According to court documents Flores-Rosario was a neighbor of his alleged
victim, and good friends with her parents, in a Carbondale area trailer
In October 2012, according to court records, the victim reportedly confided
to a caseworker at the Garfield County Department of Human Services that she
had been sexually assaulted by Flores-Rosario when she was perhaps 12 years
old. The victim was at that point a resident of Glenwood Springs.
Although the case was turned over to the Glenwood Springs Police Department,
according to the documents, no action was taken until the victim complained
to the caseworker, Tracy Kahl, that the police had not contacted her as of
The Carbondale police took over at that point, according to the court
records, and began interviewing people, including the 18-year-old alleged
victim and the alleged perpetrator himself.
What police learned, according to the documents, is that Flores-Rosario ³was
a friendly man in the trailer court, who would often give candy to the
The victim reported that Flores-Rosario and his wife allegedly would invite
neighborhood girls for an overnight stay, and that while they were all in
bed he would fondle or otherwise assault the girls.
There was no indication in the report that his wife was aware of the alleged
The police interviewed another alleged victim, a 13-year-old girl, who also
reported that Flores-Rosario molested her.
The documents also reported that Flores-Rosario was deported about 15 years
ago after being convicted of domestic violence for the beating of his wife.
He currently is awaiting deportation again over the new charges, and remains
in the Garfield County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 bond.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Garfield County proceeds with $87,250 bid to clean up Glenwood-area homeless camps, illegal dump site
Garfield County will move ahead with an $87,250 contract to clean up a privately owned hillside property east of Walmart in Glenwood Springs that for multiple years has served as a homeless encampment.