City to take over Glenwood Summer of Music
2017 glenwood Summer of music lineup
Wednesdays at Two Rivers Park
(Openers at 6:30 p.m., headliners around 7:15 p.m.)
June 28: Joe Smith and the Spicy Pickles with Jessy Carolina
Opener – JAS Students
July 5: Battle of Santiago
Opener – Nanama
July 12: Major & the Monbacks
Opener: Whiskey Stomp
July 19: Taylor Scott Band
Opener: Louie and The Lizards
July 26: The Black Lillies
Opener: Collin Reese
Aug. 2: Peter Rowan
The city will rescue the popular Glenwood Springs Summer of Music outdoor concert series in Two Rivers Park, even if it’s not inclined to bail out the event’s financially troubled sponsoring organization, the Glenwood Center for the Arts.
City officials announced Wednesday that they will assist the center’s Summer of Music Committee in hosting the series’ seventh season, following word last week that the arts center expects to close its doors by mid-May unless funding comes forward to pay off some $68,000 in debt and return the organization to solvency. If not, the arts center board said it cannot pay its teachers and vendors and would have to close.
The announcement came amid a police investigation into the center’s finances, and the recent resignation of its director, Christina Brusig.
The impending closure left open the question about the fate of several popular arts programs, not the least of which is the free Summer of Music concert series that has been under the auspices of the arts center for the past six years since the former Glenwood Summer of Jazz organization ended its 25-year run.
Glenwood Springs City Council tonight is expected to approve a $20,000 city tourism grant to fund the concert series. Brusig had previously applied for the grant in March, and it was recommended for approval by the city’s Financial Advisory Board last week before the arts center made its announcement.
Assistant City Manager Jenn Ooton said in a press release that remaining money and donations made specifically for the Summer of Music are being transferred to the city, and that the city would act as the fiscal agent for any additional donations. The concert series relies heavily on donations and sponsorships.
At this point, bands are already booked, deposits paid, a sound engineer is ready to go and site vendors are lined up, Ooton said in the release. The six-concert series will take place on Wednesday nights in Two Rivers Park from June 28 through Aug. 2.
“Fundraising has been underway, and as in years past, your public and private donations are very important to the health and continuation of the music series,” the release stated. “Contributions continue to be tax deductible and will be designated only for the Summer of Music.”
The Summer of Music Committee will now operate under the umbrella of city government. Those wanting to make a donation or be a sponsor should contact the City Manager’s Office at 970-384-6441.
City Councilor Kathryn Trauger, who serves as the council liaison to the Financial Advisory Board, said the board considered it important to keep the summer concert series going, especially given the economic challenges the city is facing with the ongoing Grand Avenue Bridge construction and the upcoming Colorado 82 detour that will be in place starting in mid-August.
“It’s an important community event to have, particularly at this time,” Trauger said. “It will be good for the community to have something like this continue.”
After the Arts Council’s announcement last week, the city said that it was cutting off general taxpayer support for the organization while the police investigation is ongoing. That includes the remainder of the $50,000 the city provides annually for the Arts Center director’s salary, plus funding for programs other than the Summer of Music.
Details about the police investigation have been sparse because it is active. The arts center board announced April 27 that it cannot pay vendors and teachers and likely will close after its annual “Dancers Dancing” production May 12-13.
Last year, the city provided a $5,000 tourism grant for the Summer of Music series, and in 2015 that amount was $15,000. The concert series costs over $100,000 a year to put on, according to Brusig’s March 10 grant application with the city.
In addition to the city funding, a $5,000 Summer of Music grant request is pending before the Garfield County commissioners.
The grant request before the Glenwood City Council tonight is just one of $73,936 in total tourism grant requests that have been recommended for council approval. Others include $25,000 for a downtown block party in conjunction with the closing of the Grand Avenue bridge in August, and $24,996 for the Downtown Development Authority’s holiday lighting.
In addition, council will consider $153,205 in discretionary grants, including $15,500 that was recommended for a temporary replacement to the Tuesday night Downtown Market, to be held in Sayre Park this summer.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.