Faulty fan sparks Glenwood Springs apartment fire | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Faulty fan sparks Glenwood Springs apartment fire

GLENWOOD SPRINGS — The resident of an upstairs apartment in the 1800 block of Grand Avenue burned his hands when he tried to extinguish a box-style fan that had caught on fire early Wednesday afternoon.

The Glenwood Springs Fire Department was called to 1838 Grand Ave. at 12:29 p.m. and was able to put out the still-smoldering fire.

According to Glenwood Spring Fire Chief Gary Tillotson, the resident, who was working at a nearby job, was alerted to smoke coming from his apartment and went to try to put out the fire himself.



“He tried to throw a blanket over it and got some of the burnt plastic on his hands, suffering first- and second-degree burns,” Tillotson said.

The victim, who was not named, was treated at Valley View Hospital and released, he said.



The fire was contained to the fan itself, which was sitting on the floor. There was some smoke damage in the apartment, but minimal damage from the fire itself, Tillotson said.

A short time later, at 1:50 p.m., fire personnel responded to the Colorado Mountain College building at 802 Grand Avenue for a fire alarm that prompted the entire building to be evacuated.

A smoke smell was traced to a ceiling air conditioning unit in the section of the building occupied by US Bank that had malfunctioned, Tillotson said.

“There was no damage, just an unpleasant smell,” he said. In addition to CMC and the bank, the building also houses the Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association offices and Visitors Welcome Center.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User