Glenwood Springs man held on attempted murder charge |

Glenwood Springs man held on attempted murder charge

Daniel Hernandez-Pineda
Staff Photo |

GLENWOOD SPRINGS — A local man is being held at the Garfield County Jail on charges of first-degree attempted murder following an alleged attack Feb. 11 on a man and his girlfriend outside Alpine Bank in Glenwood Springs.

Daniel Hernandez-Pineda, 38, of Glenwood Springs, allegedly used a tire iron to hit Jesse Villagrana in the head, causing a brain hemorrhage that doctors said would likely have killed him had it been left untreated, according to court documents.

Hernandez-Pineda also faces first-degree assault charges for allegedly striking and injuring Maria Gody-Hernandez with the tire iron during the attack. He remains in the county jail on a $75,000 bond.

According to a Glenwood Springs Police Department affidavit, the incident occurred just before 5 p.m. on Feb. 11 when Villagrana and Gody-Hernandez got into their vehicle after getting cash at Alpine Bank at 2200 Grand Ave.

That’s when Hernandez-Pineda allegedly appeared and “forced” his way into the vehicle, striking Villagrana with a tire iron and hitting the vehicle as well, causing about $1,000 damage, according to the affidavit.

Villagrana told police he managed to get out of the vehicle, but Hernandez-Pineda continued to beat him with the tire iron, including on the head.

Gody-Hernandez got out of the vehicle and attempted to intervene, but was also hit on the arm and wrist before Hernandez-Pineda fled.

She later told police that she and Hernandez-Pineda “use to date or were married,” and that she had begun dating Villagrana, according to the affidavit.

Since then, Hernandez-Pineda has been “attempting to get her back,” and had been calling her “almost daily,” even threatening to kill Villagrana if she wouldn’t leave him, the affidavit says.

Villagrana also told investigators after the incident that Hernandez-Pineda had threatened “multiple times” to kill him, even confronting him at a local fast food restaurant where Villagrana works.

According to police, Hernandez-Pineda was arrested less than an hour later in the south parking lot at City Market near a vehicle that matched the description of an eyewitness who said she had seen him leave in after the attack.

Police said Hernandez-Pineda had a torn shirt and minor abrasions on his knuckles and scratches on his abdomen at the time of his arrest. He later denied in a police interview that he had struck the victims.

Doctors at Valley View Hospital who treated Villagrana were also interviewed by police. Villagrana did not have a skull fracture, they said, but did have swelling from internal bleeding, according to the affidavit.

One of the doctors advised that if Villagrana had not been treated right away, his injuries “more than likely would have resulted in death,” the police affidavit stated.

Hernandez-Pineda also faces charges for violating protection orders involving both Villagrana and Gody-Hernandez,

He is being represented by the public defender’s office, which has requested a preliminary hearing in the case. Hernandez-Pineda is due back in court for an arraignment hearing on March 11.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User