GSHS mock trial team second at state
March 6, 2017
The Glenwood Springs High School mock trial team finished in second place at the Colorado State Bar Association's Mock Trial State Tournament at the Adams County Justice Center on Saturday. Glenwood won all four rounds but then lost on a split ballot to Colorado Academy in the championship round.
The team is made up of seniors Anton Freeman, Chandler Hagemann and Grace Nilsson, along with Sophia Hayes, Zoe Lyon, Ellie Moser and Mikey Willis. Moser received a best witness award and Hagemann won a best attorney award at the conclusion of the state competition.
"These kids worked very hard to prepare," team coach Charlie Willman said. "They continued to improve as they moved round after round through the regional and state tournaments. We have a great core of students to add to this fine team, and I have no doubt we will be in the hunt for winning the championship next year."
Assistant coaches this year were Wes Burke, Siri Olsen, Diana Ray, Zac Parsons, Matt Barrett, Isabel Carlson, Tony Hershey and Vic Zerbi.
“These kids worked very hard to prepare. They continued to improve as they moved round after round through the regional and state tournaments.”
team coach Charlie Willman
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Polo mecca near Catherine Store passes first test in Garfield County
- Rare, dangerous conditions spur avalanche warning for Roaring Fork Valley backcountry
- Fuller retiring after 37 years of protecting Roaring Fork Valley’s water
- Crown Mtn Park in El Jebel will seek property tax hike from voters
- Development group sets sights on Basalt’s controversial Pan and Fork land
- Glenwood Springs High School students lead walk-out in solidarity with Florida victims
- Two new downtown restaurants offer global cuisine in Glenwood Springs
- Illegal bear killing spurs hunting ban
- Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario shares thoughts on gun control
- Photos: Glenwood Springs High School students lead walk out in solidarity with Florida victims