Hearing help for three valley residents
Rocky Mountain Audiology and Dr. Daria Stakiw have teamed up to donate free hearing instruments as a way of giving back, and have selected three recipients for 2017.
“This is a great opportunity to significantly change the life of someone living in a world of silence,” Stakiw said. “I am honored to have the resources and the ability to make a difference and improve someone’s life.”
The 2017 recipients are:
• Frank Nadell has been employed by the Carbondale & Rural Fire Protection District for more than 23 years and is involved in training, emergency medicine, CPR and rescue. He loves his job as a first responder and the assistance to help him hear in the critical situations where communication challenges arise.
Nadell said that his communication challenges became even more profound when he was called on to be the leader on emergency incidents. When he wears his hearing aids, “it was as if the sun came up and turned the darkness into light. All that went by previously as unheard became comprehensible.”
• Pam Dodge has lived in the Roaring Fork Valley since 1991 and works at Valley View Hospital’s Calaway-Young Cancer Center. She knew she had a hearing loss for a while, as she was finding it difficult to hear what people were saying in crowds. She resorted to smiling, nodding and laughing, but it wasn’t working. As a nurse, she has direct patient contact and must hear her patients and colleagues. She now has two new hearing aids.
• John Hanson is no stranger to hearing loss. At the age of 5, he lost the hearing in his left ear. Recently, he was diagnosed with head and neck cancer that requires aggressive chemotherapy and radiation, which has now decreased the hearing in his right ear. With this assistance, he said he is able to hear his family, including in quiet conversations over coffee with his wife, sharing the thoughts of the day with his son and daughter-in-law and, most importantly, hearing his grandsons’ laughter and questions.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
An upholstery shop on the outskirts of Carbondale caught fire June 25, but was quickly extinguished.