I-70 exit impacts should come to an end this month
Question: What’s happening during Phase 2 of the Grand Avenue Bridge Project?
Answer: The Grand Avenue Bridge project is in Phase 2 of the 5 phase project. Phase 2 is a broad project phase spanning March 2016 to March 2017. There are two milestones that the contractor needs to meet during this phase: Completing the demolition of the pedestrian bridge by April 30, 2016, and opening the new pedestrian bridge for public use by March 1, 2017. The contractor is on schedule and is 10 percent complete to date. Total construction spending for Phase 2 is estimated at 40 percent of the overall project budget.
The following is a summary of our work and traffic impacts for the month of April:
• The contractor will complete the storm drain utility project at I-70 Exit 116 interchange. The I-70 Exit 116 westbound off-ramp will be in a one-lane configuration for a few weeks for utility work.
• You will start to see permanent structures forming around the project. Retaining walls for the traffic bridge and roundabout can be seen across the Colorado River from Seventh Street and Colorado Avenue. The pedestrian and traffic bridge piers on the north river bank will begin to take shape this month.
• Utility work continues along the Seventh Street Plaza. Utilities ultimately run to the final location on the new pedestrian bridge this fall. Caisson work wraps up in early May as the traffic bridge and pedestrian bridge pier foundation work will near completion. Concrete structural walls are beginning to take shape for the traffic bridge.
• The contractor will continue shoring work and excavating for the north pedestrian bridge abutment and excavate and construct pedestrian tunnel on the north traffic bridge roundabout.
• The I-70 Exit 114 improvements are anticipated to move up in the project schedule. Construction crews will move from Exit 116 to Exit 114 to begin work to lengthen the I-70 eastbound off-ramp and westbound on-ramp. Minor changes to the roundabouts will help to accommodate detour traffic and larger trucks. Exit 114 improvements are needed to accommodate State Highway 82 detour traffic but will remain as permanent improvements.
Phase 2 Projects in our Pipeline
The following are a list of projects that will occur in Phase 2 but do not have a timeline associated with the work. Most of these construction activities have been moved up from Phase 3 to create efficiencies in the project.
• Exit 114 roundabout improvements on both the eastbound off-ramp and on-ramp and roundabout island. Exit 114 will be in a one-lane configuration during this time.
• US 6 asphalt overlay from the Grand Avenue Bridge to Exit 114.
• Midland asphalt overlay from Exit 114 to Midland and Eighth Street.
• Eighth Street connection to Midland Avenue.
Tom Newland is communications manager for the Grand Avenue bridge replacement project.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User