Rains help douse lightning-caused fires west of Carbondale
July 10, 2018
Two trees struck by lightning caught fire above the Aspen Glen area off Highway 82 Tuesday and area firefighting officials were working to douse the flames.
Jenny Cutright, public information officer for the Carbondale Fire Department said the two trees, in different locations, were still burning at about 6:30 p.m.
Bystanders called Carbondale Fire at about 5 p.m. and said a small plume of smoke had appeared high on a ridge west of Aspen Glen, between Glenwood Springs and Carbondale, as a thunderstorm had rolled through the area.
The Carbondale Fire Department and Upper Colorado River Fire Management Team are both handling the incident.
Trending In: Local
- Dispute between RFTA, drivers’ union heading to arbitration
- #PostSnaps: Check out this week’s reader-submitted photos
- Your Watershed Column: Wild & Scenic Film Festival stops in Glenwood, Rifle
- Garfield County, city offices closed for Presidents Day
- Film producer, part-time Aspen resident Brad Krevoy explores making series about 10th Mountain Division
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Two Roaring Fork Valley men die in backcountry avalanche near Crested Butte
- Garfield County crime briefs: Car theft, fast food, meth and undergarments
- Bundy’s escape forever a part of Garfield County history
- Thieves who ripped off $9,000 in tools busted for trying to resell them