Menjivar’s father added to Cabrera’s list of ‘victims’
GLENWOOD SPRINGS — In the ongoing first-degree murder case against Fredy Argueta Cabrera, accused in the shooting death of 21-year-old Douglas Menjivar on July 31, Menjivar’s father has been added to a judge’s protective order in the case, based in part on an assertion that the wife of the defendant has been trying to send money to the dead man’s family.
Jorge Crespin-Para, 45, was added to the protective order issued by District Judge Denise Lynch, which initially prohibited contact between the defendant and one of the two alleged victims in the case, Menjivar’s 18-year-old girlfriend, Leydy Trejo.
According to prosecutors, Cabrera, 39, deliberately murdered Menjivar because Menjivar was living with Trejo, who is Cabrera’s stepdaughter. Witnesses in the case reportedly have said that Cabrera was unhappy about the two living together.
Cabrera also shot Trejo during the incident, sending her to a hospital in Denver for emergency surgery, and Trejo has said that she has no interest in talking with her stepfather.
According to court files, Crespin-Para submitted a victim’s impact statement to the judge on Oct. 15, informing her that the killing of Menjivar “has affected us morally, physically” and has caused turmoil in the family.
“Every day I speak to my wife and younger son to calm them down,” Crespin-Para told a victim’s assistant for the Ninth Judicial District, who filled out the victim’s impact statement for Crespin-Para.
“I can’t sleep, and when I sleep, I think of my son, when I wake it’s the same case every day,” Crespin-Para continued.
He also informed the judge that Menjivar worked at one of Cabrera’s three businesses in the valley, CompuCopy of Carbondale, and that Cabrera’s wife, Vilma Trejo, had been in touch with Crespin-Para since the killing.
Cabrera’s wife, Crespin-Para reported, “is wanting to send me checks, but I do not accept them.”
The judge added Crespin-Para’s name to the protection order on Oct. 17.
Cabrera, who apparently has asked to be allowed to hire a private attorney, is still represented by the Colorado Office of the Public Defender, a state agency that provides free representation to indigent defendants in criminal cases.
Although Cabrera owns two El Horizonte restaurants, one in Carbondale and the other in Glenwood Springs, CompuCopy in Carbondale and two houses in the midvalley, the judge agreed with an argument by chief public defender Tina Fang that Cabrera is eligible for the public defender’s services. Fang argued that Cabrera owes too much debt on the businesses and properties to be able to come up with the money needed for a private attorney, costs that have been estimated to be as high as $450,000 in this case.
At a hearing on Nov. 21, Fang announced that Cabrera’s brother had agreed to pay for a private attorney, although no attorney had been found at that time to take over the case. Fang said in court that she was talking with several attorneys, and would inform the court when a new one is hired.
Following that hearing, Fang, along with Vilma Trejo (Cabrera’s wife) and another woman, each refused to talk with reporters about recent developments in the case.
Cabrera may be back in court on Dec. 19, if a new attorney is found to take the case. If not, his next appearance will be at a hearing on Jan. 13, 2014.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User