Silt eatery Red Brick BBQ closes, not related to state sting | PostIndependent.com

Silt eatery Red Brick BBQ closes, not related to state sting

John Colson
Post Independent Staff
The sign posted on the front door of the Red Brick BBQ in Silt states that the business has been sited for violation of the Colorado Liquor/Beer Codes.
KELLEY COX / KCOX@POSTINDEPENDENT.COM |

SILT — The Red Brick BBQ, a popular local eatery that has been in business for about four years, closed its doors for good on Aug. 25, according to a town official.

But the closure, said Town Clerk Sheila McIntyre, had nothing to do with a recent “sting” by agents of the Colorado Department of Revenue, Liquor Enforcement Division.

“He was moving elsewhere and just had to close the restaurant,” McIntyre told the Post Independent on Tuesday, referring to a conversation she had with the owner.

She said she had heard of the closure plan several weeks ago, and had it confirmed by restaurant owner Daniel Friedrich.

“He was moving elsewhere and just had to close the restaurant,” McIntyre told the Post Independent on Tuesday, referring to a conversation she had with the owner.

Friedrich could not be reached by phone on Tuesday, although the restaurant’s phone number remained active and the outgoing message still informed callers of his serving times.

A sign on the door of the Red Brick BBQ informs the public that the business’s liquor license was suspended for infractions of the state liquor codes, but bears no date for the inspection on which the suspension was based.

McIntyre also confirmed that there had been a state liquor enforcement sting in town several weeks ago, and that it had involved not only the Red Brick BBQ but the Silt Discount Liquors store, owned by town Trustee Rick Aluise, and the Gofer Foods store, owned by Rick Sarten.

Neither Aluise nor Sarten could be reached on Tuesday for comment for this story.

But McIntyre said that both businesses had been issued citations by the state liquor enforcement authority for selling alcohol to minors, who reportedly were sent into the businesses by liquor enforcement agents to determine whether they could buy booze despite being underage.

McIntyre added that she did not know what kind of penalty the two liquor outlets had received, and state officials were unavailable on Tuesday to respond to requests for information.

jcolson@postindependent.com


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

Local


See more