Spark from power line starts small grass fire near Glenwood Springs | PostIndependent.com

Spark from power line starts small grass fire near Glenwood Springs

GLENWOOD SPRINGS — An electrical line failure in the Oak Meadows subdivision on Four Mile Road sparked a small grass fire Monday afternoon, the season’s first official wildland fire, according to Glenwood Springs Fire Department officials.

The fire, reported at 3:09 p.m. by a resident on Sopris Court, burned about one-tenth of an acre before being extinguished, Glenwood Springs Fire Chief Gary Tillotson said.

“It burned mostly in some grass and a couple of old fence posts were charred,” he said. “It was close to some structures but never really any threat.”

The fire apparently started as a result of a part failure on a Holy Cross Energy power line, which caused the line to dangle and arc against another line, shutting off power in the neighborhood.

“A spark hit the ground and started a fire in the grass,” Tillotson said.

No structures were damaged, although some minor damage was reported to Holy Cross’s electrical infrastructure, he said.

“The fire was a little bit wind-driven, but wasn’t spreading very fast,” Tillotson said.

Just how dangerous the coming wildfire season will be still remains to be seen, he said.

“On days like we had last week when we were getting some moisture is wasn’t so bad,” Tillotson said. “But it doesn’t take too many of these dry, warm, breezy days to suck the moisture right out of the vegetation.”

Glenwood Springs emergency personnel were also called at about the same time as the Oak Meadows fire Monday to a report of a possible gas leak at the law offices at 110 Eighth St., Tillotson said.

No gas leak was found, but occupants of the building said they were experiencing symptoms as a result of an odor, he said, possibly from a sewer line.

jstroud@postindependent.com


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.



Local


See more