Victim in Glenwood Springs shooting dies |

Victim in Glenwood Springs shooting dies

Suspect James McCabe Mallin
Staff Photo |

Audrey Lowndes, 40, of Glenwood Springs, died at Saint Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction at 6:16 p.m. on April 15 of a gunshot wound to the head, the according to the Garfield County Coroner’s office.

Her boyfriend, James McCabe Mallin, 28, was arrested in the early hours of April 15 on preliminary charges of first degree attempted murder (a class 2 felony), first degree assault (a class 3 felony), prohibited use of weapons, and reckless endangerment.

He was advised of his rights on Tuesday and is currently being held at the Garfield County Jail on a $25,000 bond.

Lowndes’ death may prompt changes in the official charges as well as the bond when he faces the court again next Wednesday.

“That could cause us to amend what he’s being held on,” District Attorney Sherry Caloia said Wednesday afternoon, “but we haven’t made that decision yet.”

According to an affidavit for Mallin’s arrest, Glenwood Springs Police responded to a report of a gunshot victim at a mobile home at 3110 South Grand Avenue at 12:29 a.m. on April 15.

Upon arrival on the scene, officers were contacted by Eric Satre, 41, a roommate of Mallin and Lowndes. Satre reportedly told police that the victim had been shot in the head and that someone was doing CPR. Upon entry, officers instructed Mallin’s father Jeffrey, 59, to exit the building.

Police then located Lowndes laying face-up in a rear bedroom with Mallin nearby, the affidavit indicates. Emergency Medical Services transported Lowndes to Valley View Hospital, and according to a press release, she was later airlifted to Saint Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction, where she was listed in critical condition and later passed away.

The residence at 3110 S. Grand was locked down while the Colorado Bureau of Investigation processed the crime scene, but by early afternoon on Tuesday, no law enforcement was in evidence.

Meanwhile, the affidavit says, Mallin waived his right to remain silent and described the events to police. According to Mallin, he, his father, and Lowndes returned home from church on the evening of the 14th and began drinking. When Satre returned home at around 10 p.m., Lowndes reportedly went into her bedroom while the three men continued drinking.

James Mallin told police that later in the evening he went to check on Lowndes and found her in the bedroom sitting in a swivel chair with her back to him holding his .22 caliber rifle. He said he asked her what she was doing and she didn’t respond, at which point he grabbed the gun and attempted to pull it backward. The gun then allegedly fired, hitting Lowndes in the back of her head. Mallin said Lowndes’ eye filled with blood and he called for someone to call 911.

Satre was also questioned by police. He reported hearing Mallin and Lowndes argue for approximately 15 minutes prior to the gunshot.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User