Martin holds slight lead in Garfield County commission District 2 race |

Martin holds slight lead in Garfield County commission District 2 race

Phillip Yatespyates@postindependent.comGlenwood Springs, CO Colorado
Kelley Cox Post Independent

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado The latest election results from Tuesday night show Republican incumbent Garfield County Commissioner John Martin holding a lead of more than 360 votes against Democratic challenger Stephen Bershenyi.With all precincts reporting, 50.9 percent of county voters cast their votes for Martin, while Bershenyi received the other 49.1 percent. Martin garnered 10,743 votes compared to Bershenyis 10,377, with about 500 ballots left to count as of 2 a.m. Wednesday.It is not over till its over, Martin said about 11 p.m. We will stay until the last horse is counted and put in the stall. It could go either way, who knows. An attempt to reach Bershenyi was not immediately successful at the time.The battle between Martin and Bershenyi for a slot on the commission was probably the most heated among the two county commissioner races this year. In many of the candidate forums, the two candidates sparred over each others comments in rebuttal statements.The largest controversy in the race between the two candidates largely grew out of campaigning done on their behalf and out of their control. More than $50,000 has been spent by outside groups on this years two county commissioner races.An environmental and advocacy group out of Montana and a conservation groups local political action committee both spent about $9,000 to support Bershenyis campaign. Several independent groups connected to Republican figures in the state have spent at least $15,000 in support of the two Republican county commissioner candidates. Contact Phillip Yates: 384-9117pyates@postindependent.comPost Independent, Glenwood Springs, Colorado CO

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User