Midget Grizzlies tie, lose to Junior Eagles | PostIndependent.com

Midget Grizzlies tie, lose to Junior Eagles

Jake Bair
Special to the Post Independent
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

The Glenwood Springs Youth Hockey Association’s Midget Major A hockey team competed in two games against the Junior Eagles on Sunday.

The Grizzlies fought well against the

No. 1 team in the league, battling to a 2-all tie and a 5-3 loss.

The first game took place Sunday morning, and was immediately set to high pace with speed and physical contact. The first goal to be scored was by the Junior Eagles’ Mike Schmidt halfway through the period. The first period ended with the Eagles up, 1-0.

Immediately in the second period, the momentum changed as the Grizzlies’ Tanner Wood sniped a goal in from the top of the zone only 17 seconds in.

Only two minutes later, yet another goal by the Grizzlies’ Taylor Brown was sent in with an assist from Michael Porter.

This change in momentum seemed to frustrate the Junior Eagles, as the penalty minutes began to increase.

After having just one penalty in the first period, the Junior Eagles tallied five penalties by the end of the second period. At the end of the second, the score was 2-1, Grizzlies.

Two minutes into the third period, the Junior Eagles scored again with Nate Cameron putting in the goal. This was the last score of the game, which ended in a tie.

Penalties decreased again in the third period. However, the Grizzlies maintained their noticeably disciplined play by having only three penalties all game to the Junior Eagles’ nine penalties.

Only two hours after the game ended, the two teams went to battle again.

This time around, the Grizzlies set the pace with the first goal by Guy Sappington just two minutes in, with an assist by Matt Shelden.

The next two goals in the first period were scored on Junior Eagle power plays by Orion Tallmadge and Cameron.

Quickly, the Grizzlies reacted with a well-executed, one-timer goal by Wood, with the assist From Grizzly captain Dylan Cook and Porter. The first period ended with the teams tied at 2.

The Junior Eagles used a new game plan in the second period and took control of the game.

The only two goals in the second period were scored by Tallmadge and Brendan O’Connell of the Junior Eagles. At the end of the second period, the Junior Eagles led 4-2.

The third period began as the second one did. O’Connell put in a goal just 45 seconds in.

The Grizzlies did not give up, however, as they put in a goal of their own a minute and a half later by Quinn Zamora, with an assist by Cook. This was the last goal of the game.

The Grizzlies are holding an alumni tournament Dec. 27-29. Their next league game is against Littleton on Jan. 9.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User