No carbon monoxide alarm requirements in Glenwood Springs
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado
GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado ” Glenwood Springs has no carbon monoxide detector requirements, but it could adopt some this year.
The 2009 International Residential Code includes a change requiring carbon monoxide alarms in new homes with fuel-fired appliances and in existing homes “where interior alterations include fuel-fired appliance replacements or attached garages.”
Glenwood Springs doesn’t have to adopt the international code. Building official Pat Seydel said the building department could adopt the new code this year at its own discretion or at the direction of the City Council.
“We don’t know for sure that we’re going to adopt it,” he said. “It sounds like other jurisdictions are maybe waiting for 2012.”
He said carbon monoxide detectors are a good thing, but he said some people raise the question “should a government tell people on every safety issue, ‘You have to do this?'”
Mayor Bruce Christensen said carbon monoxide alarm requirements haven’t come up at a City Council meeting recently.
“I think it would be wise to look into an ordinance,” he said of his personal opinion. “It does not seem any more intrusive than requiring smoke detectors.”
Carbon monoxide detector requirements grabbed attention after the Nov. 28 deaths of the Lofgren family in Aspen. They stayed in an $8.5 million home after winning a weekend there during a fundraiser. The carbon monoxide leak thought to cause the deaths reportedly came from a disconnected boiler exhaust pipe.
A few weeks later a woman in an apartment near the University of Denver reportedly died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Some state legislators are lobbying for passage of a law that would require carbon monoxide detectors in many homes and apartments. Aspen and Pitkin County both strengthened carbon monoxide detector requirements since the Lofgren tragedy.
Garfield County commissioners John Martin and Tresi Houpt reached a stalemate this week on a carbon monoxide alarm requirement. Martin voted against the code change requiring detectors and Houpt voted for it. Outgoing Commissioner Larry McCown was absent and Commissioner Mike Samson was not yet sworn in. The vote could come up again today.
The Centers for Disease Control estimates 500 people in the U.S. die each year of poisoning from the odorless gas.
Contact Pete Fowler: 384-9121
Post Independent, Glenwood Springs Colorado CO
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User