Pheasant chicks killed in coop fire east of Basalt
Numerous pheasant chicks died Monday morning when a fire started in a shed that was being used for a coop in Fryingpan Valley, according to Roaring Fork Fire Rescue.
The fire department was called to a structure fire at 309 Taylor Creek Rd. at 6:36 a.m. Monday. The site was about 6 miles east of Basalt.
“First arriving crews reported heavy smoke from an outbuilding, and crews made entry and were able to extinguish the fire in short order,” said a statement from the fire department. “Damage was confined to the area of origin. The building was immediately adjacent to a steep oak brush hillside. Due to the quick actions of firefighters the fire did not ignite the vegetation.”
There were no human injuries.
Investigators suspect a heating device in the coop malfunctioned and started the fire. It was deemed accidental and not suspicious. Damage was estimated at $5,000.
“Unfortunately, there were many pheasant chicks in the building that did not survive the fire,” the statement said.
Roaring Fork Fire Rescue responded with two command vehicles, two engines and a water tender. Eight firefighters responded.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
The town would join Aspen and Glenwood Springs in prohibiting flavored tobacco sales and licensing retailers.