Post Independent wins ad, writing, design awards
February 26, 2012
DENVER – The Glenwood Springs Post Independent collected six awards Saturday in the Colorado Press Association’s 2011 Better Newspaper Contest.
Post Independent staff took third place awards for:
• Small space ad by advertising account manager Julie Carruth.
• Editorial writing by the Post Independent Editorial Board: publisher Jenna Weatherred, editor Heather McGregor, news editor Charlie Wertheim and reporter John Stroud.
• Editorial layout and design by news editor Charlie Wertheim, for overall placement and page design of news stories, headlines and photographs, for the May 17 and June 29, 2011, editions.
• Sports event story by sports editor Jeff Caspersen for his Jan. 22, 2011, story, “Bears give ferocious effort in honor of No. 5, Rifle pays tribute to fallen teammate, then defeats Roaring Fork in a thriller.”
Recommended Stories For You
• Sports story by sports editor Jeff Caspersen for his Dec. 3, 2010, story, “Golden class enjoys its legacy, 2008 state football champs proud of 2010 team’s success.”
In addition, former Post Independent editor Dale Shrull took third place for his sports column, “Demons writing own chapter in local football lore,” published Nov. 14, 2010.
The contest covered editions of the paper published from Sept. 1, 2010, to Aug. 31, 2011. The Post Independent competes in Class V, daily newspapers with circulations from 7,500 to 15,000.
The Rifle Citizen Telegram won the sweepstakes awards for advertising and editorial excellence, and won the General Excellence Award for Class I, weekly papers with circulations under 1,750.