Propane grill touched off New Castle house fire | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Propane grill touched off New Castle house fire

The fire that severely burned a New Castle house Saturday afternoon was caused when flames from an unattended propane grill made their way up the side of structure and into the attic, said Burning Mountains Fire Protection District Fire Chief Dave Yowell.

Yowell said the grill was in use outside, right next to the house.

“We’re not sure if the grill was defective, or if it was something on the grill,” Yowell said. “But it wasn’t arson. It was an accident.”

The Burning Mountains Fire Protection District was called to 442 Wagon Circle in Castle Valley at about 1 p.m. on May 18, and was backed by the Glenwood Springs Fire Department.

Yowell said someone was operating the grill but nobody was near it when the fire started. The flames worked their way up the outside wall of the two-story house, into the eves and eventually to the attic before burning through a section of the roof.

“The roof burned, and there was water and smoke damage,” Yowell said. “The house is rebuildable, but not livable right now.”

There were no injuries.

Yowell urges people to keep an eye on their propane grills, “and to keep them away from the house.”


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User