Rifle man leads cops on chase in truck, then on foot after road rage incident | PostIndependent.com

Rifle man leads cops on chase in truck, then on foot after road rage incident

Heather McGregor
Post Independent Editor
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

SILT, Colorado – A road rage incident on Interstate 70 near Silt Sunday afternoon resulted in the arrest of a Rifle man who tried to flee police in his truck and then on foot.

Robert Clark, 39, is being held in the Garfield County Jail on suspicion of vehicular eluding, resisting arrest, driving under the influence, reckless driving, stopping on a roadway, and failure to obey an officer directing traffic.

Silt Police Chief Levy Burris said the drivers of two vehicles stopped in the downtown Silt roundabout at 3:45 p.m. Sunday to argue about an aggressive driving encounter on I-70.

Officer Ken Van Teylingen directed the drivers to move to a nearby convenience store parking lot to discuss the matter.

One of the drivers, in a blue passenger car, drove to the parking lot, but Clark sped west on Main Street in his white pickup truck, at a speed of about 60 mph, Burris said.

A second officer called to the scene put on the lights and siren in his patrol car and pursued the pickup. About six blocks west of the roundabout, Clark tried to turn left onto Third Street. The truck skidded 110 feet and crashed into a mound of dirt just a foot from a telephone pole, Burris said.

Clark jumped out of the truck, leaving his dog inside, and ran south toward the railroad tracks.

The second officer, Daryl Back, jumped out of his patrol car and chased Clark on foot on a route that included climbing over a fence, jumping off an eight-foot embankment near the tracks, and hopping another fence.

Burris said Back shouted at Clark, ordered him to stop, and fired his Taser gun at the fleeing suspect, but missed.

In crossing the second fence, Clark stumbled and fell. Back caught up and held Clark to the ground by physically driving the Taser gun against Clark, but did not fire it.

Officer Van Teylingen caught up, and a New Castle police officer pulled up close to the scene, parking along Interstate 70. The officers handcuffed Clark, took him to the New Castle patrol car, and then brought him back into Silt.

In booking Clark, the Silt ambulance crew checked out a cut on his nose and took a blood test, Burris said.

Clark’s dog was later released to his father, who lives west of Silt.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User