Roaring Fork Schools calendars approved through 2023-24
The Roaring Fork Schools Board of Education last week approved school-year calendars for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 years.
In doing so, however, the board asked staff to ensure that the district communicates one carryover ramification from this year — childcare implications of winter break not being aligned with Garfield Re-2’s winter break.
The district will also collect feedback from families and staff in January 2023 to determine if the 2023-24 calendar needs to be amended, according to a district news release.
The approved calendars largely mirror the 2020-22 calendars with a few small changes, including:
- Starting the school year on a Wednesday instead of Monday, which provides a few extra days of summer and gives students and teachers a more gradual return to school with a shortened first week.
- Ending the school year after Memorial Day, which resolves a conflict between graduation and the state track meet.
- Increasing fall break to two days for a four-day weekend.Switching to trimesters for elementary and middle school students.
The 2022-24 calendars reflect the survey data showing that respondents were generally satisfied with the current school calendar, the district’s release stated.
“Of particular significance, 61% of respondents indicated they were quite or very satisfied with the current school calendar, while only 7% of respondents indicated they were not satisfied at all,” the release states.
Additionally, the approved calendar has:
- First semester ending prior to the start of winter break;
- Balanced semesters and trimesters; and,
- Spring break alignment with the Garfield Re-2 District (intended to support the many RFSD staff who live in Re-2)
There was also board discussion about approving more than two years of calendars at a time to prevent alignment issues with neighboring districts in the future.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.