Second Carbondale fire in a week ignites at apartment complex
A second Carbondale fire within a week forced at least 11 people out of their homes Friday afternoon. The fire destroyed two apartments in the fourplex at the Parker Motel apartment complex located at Sopris and Weant. It only took about 20 minutes for the apartment where the fire originated to be engulfed by flames.”There was a man taking a nap in the apartment with his door closed when he was awakened by the smoke alarm,” said Doug Davis, Public Information Officer for the Carbondale Fire Department. “He’s pretty lucky – that smoke alarm saved his life.”The fire broke out in the upper northwest corner of the building, and was concentrated in the north end apartments where firefighters entered and began dousing the flames. Firefighters were able to save the south-facing apartments, Davis said, but both north-end apartments were heavily damaged.”We’ve got absolutely no idea what the cause of the fire is as of yet,” Davis said.The Carbondale Fire Department responded within minutes of the call that came in at 2:15 p.m. Three fire engines, one ambulance, and twenty-six firefighters and emergency medical technicians were on the scene to battle the blaze. At least three people were in the fourplex at the time the fire was sparked, but no one was injured. One firefighter did receive minor injuries according to reports, but there was no update on his condition at press time.The Red Cross showed up to assist the displaced residents with food, clothing, and finding temporary housing.The fourplex is owned by Crystal River Valley resident Bill Myers, and is adjacent to the Carbondale Middle School. Students there were kept inside during the fire.Contact John Gardner: 945-8515, ext. firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Corn it what you want: Classic summertime lawn game and Rifle recreational league brings people together
Taylor Walters first had the idea for a cornhole league — also called bags or baggo depending on where you’re from — while applying for a job with the city of Rifle.