Settlement appears imminent in civil case against Bryant | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Settlement appears imminent in civil case against Bryant

Randy Wyrick

Among the things Kobe Bryant is willing to buy is his accuser’s silence.Bryant’s attorneys are working toward a settlement in the civil case with the young woman out of court for an amount “in the millions of dollars,” according to sources close to the case.Among the things Kobe Bryant is willing to buy is his accuser’s silence.Bryant’s attorneys are working toward a settlement in the civil case with the young woman out of court for an amount “in the millions of dollars,” according to sources close to the case.In exchange, the woman, a former Eagle resident, and her family are prohibited from discussing the case forever, sources said.The final agreement could be signed as early as Friday, sources said, thereby eliminating the possibility of a civil trial. All criminal charges against Bryant were dropped last summer. “The final settlement is enough to pay the attorneys and have a lot left,” sources said, although no exact settlement amount was available. Sources said the woman’s attorneys had hoped for a settlement in the tens of millions, but said the final numbers do not come close to that.That would make it more than the estimated $1.5 million the woman’s attorneys, Lin Wood of Atlanta and John Clune of Eagle, have spent on the case so far, including hourly billing, travel and other expenses, according to reports by NBC news.Clune said Tuesday he could not comment. Wood did not return phone calls to his office. Bryant’s criminal attorney, Pamela Mackey, was also unavailable for comment.Wood and Clune traveled to Los Angeles on Friday to take Bryant’s deposition – statements made under oath they would’ve used to prepare their civil case in federal court. However, sources said, Bryant did not show up to give his statement because a tentative settlement had been reached.The woman filed her civil suit in early August, about three weeks before the criminal case was dismissed.Bryant, who has said he had sex with the then 19-year-old woman but did not rape her, was charged with one count of felony sexual assault stemming from a June 2003 incident at the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera.Because of Bryant’s celebrity, the case attracted international attention, bringing media swarming to the Eagle County courthouse.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User