Smoldering elf triggers alarms at Hotel Colorado |

Smoldering elf triggers alarms at Hotel Colorado

The Glenwood Springs Fire Department responded to a small fire at the Hotel Colorado last night but hotel employees had things under control before they arrived.

“There was no fire. It was a smoldering motor on one of the elves (a holiday decoration),” said Larry MacDonald, the hotel’s general manager. “It was just a situation where there was a lot of smoke, which triggered the smoke detectors.”

Front desk supervisor Christine Brooks was quick to react with a fire extinguisher, which put a stop to the threat.

MacDonald said there were very few guests in the area and it appeared that the fire did little or no damage.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User