Stoneman pleads not guilty | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Stoneman pleads not guilty

Eric Alan Stoneman, 14, pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder Wednesday in Glenwood Springs District Court after a day-long hearing in which the only eyewitness told a chilling story of a day when boys’ arguments turned deadly.

District Court Judge Thomas Ossola found probable cause to charge Stoneman with premeditated murder. The boy allegedly shot and killed Taylor DeMarco, 9, inside a mobile home in Battlement Mesa on July 20.

During the hearing, Taylor’s father, Bill DeMarco, placed a small container with some of his son’s ashes on the railing. He also propped a picture of his son against the container facing the judge, the attorneys, and Stoneman.



Stoneman, clad in a blue shirt with white stripes, repeatedly turned back toward his mother and father, who were sitting behind him. At times, he smiled and mouthed words to them. But as the hearing wore on, his head dropped to his chest.

At a morning recess called by the judge, DeMarco, who had watched the exchanges, said to Stoneman, “I don’t think you have a whole lot to smile about. I’ll wipe that smile off your face.”



He then left the courtroom clutching his son’s picture to his chest. As he left, he said, “I don’t trust myself. There ain’t a guy in there (referring to the deputies stationed in the courtroom) that can stop me. I don’t trust myself.”

As in earlier hearings, security was tight both inside and outside the courtroom. DeMarco was ejected from an earlier hearing when he threatened Stoneman and his family. People wishing to sit in the courtroom had to pass through a metal detector and had coats and bags searched. Deputies were posted inside the courtroom and surrounded the defense table where Stoneman sat after DeMarco made his comments.

In a courtroom taut with drama, witnesses recounted the moments just after DeMarco’s death. The most stunning testimony came from the only eyewitness to the shooting. Eric Warde, 13, said the three boys were in a bedroom of his mobile home playing video games and had been arguing off and on during the day.

Stoneman left, and about 10 minutes later returned with a handgun, according to Warde. He said that he and DeMarco hid in a bedroom, locking the door, then retreated to a bathroom, again locking themselves in.

Warde testified that Stoneman said, “This gun can go through the door.”

Warde eventually unlocked the door and the boys came back into the living room. There, Warde said, Stoneman pointed the gun at both Warde and DeMarco, and at one point handed the gun to DeMarco assuring him the safety was on and it wouldn’t go off. Warde said Stoneman pointed the gun at him, then held it to his own head and put it in his mouth. Warde said he was frightened and was looking down at the time, then heard a shot go off.

“Taylor screamed and opened the (front) door and ran out,” Warde said.

DeMarco died outside in a pool of blood on steps of the mobile home.

Under cross-examination by Assistant District Attorney Vince Felletter, Warde admitted he told conflicting versions of the incident. Stoneman’s public defender Greg Greer repeatedly objected to Felletter’s calling Warde on statements he’d made to law enforcement officers at the scene of the shooting and later to sheriff’s investigators.

However, what came out in Warde’s testimony Wednesday was a compelling picture of Warde and DeMarco being afraid of Stoneman.

“Isn’t it true that the defendant threatened you, not just on that day, and that once he had you in a headlock and made you pass out,” and that he also, before July 20, had pointed a gun at Warde, Felletter asked.

In a low voice, Warde said, “Yes.”

During his testimony, Warde portrayed Stoneman as an angry boy who made threats that he would kill both DeMarco and Warde, and carried them out on DeMarco on that hot July day.

Felletter, reading from a investigator’s report of an interview with Warde, asked Warde if he’d told the investigator when Stoneman pointed the gun at the boys he said to Taylor, “I’m going to kill you,” and that he said it “in the strangest way.”

Again, Warde answered, “Yes.”

Greer, however, questioned Warde’s statements to investigators about Stoneman making repeated threats to kill both the boys.

“He told you he was just trying to scare you and (the shooting) was just an accident,” Greer said.

Warde agreed.

Felletter argued that the shooting was premeditated and Stoneman deliberated before doing so. And although “there are some inconsistencies” in Warde’s statements to investigators, “he did make plenty of statements that Eric Stoneman said he would kill Taylor DeMarco. It wasn’t just kids playing around.”

Stoneman, he said, went back to his home and retrieved the .22-caliber semiautomatic handgun from between the box spring and mattress of his parents’ bed and took it back to Eric Warde’s house, pointed it at their heads and said to DeMarco, “I’m going to shoot you. He doesn’t say it like he’s playing around,” Felletter said.

Greer, however, argued the first-degree murder charge should be thrown out because Warde also said “over and over” to investigators that Stoneman was only trying to scare DeMarco and didn’t intend to shoot him.

“There isn’t enough evidence by any standard” for a first-degree murder charge, he said. “Deliberation does not exist in this case. Intent does not exist in this case. First degree murder is not a charge that should go against this 13-year-old boy.”

In making his ruling, Ossola said from Warde’s statements, he found there was enough evidence to support a charge of first-degree murder.

After the ruling, Greer said Stoneman would plead not guilty to the charges against him, including first-degree assault and menacing with a deadly weapon.

If convicted, Stoneman faces the possibility of life in prison without parole.

He will appear in court Nov. 3, when a date will be set for his trial. Felletter said he expects the trial could run for two weeks.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User