Strange But True trivia
• It was American author Erica Jong who made the following sage observation: “Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.”
• Jon Bon Jovi is probably best known for his eponymous ‘80s hair band, but he’s also quite a philanthropist, working on behalf of organizations including the Special Olympics, the American Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity. In 2011, the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation opened a restaurant called JBJ Soul Kitchen, in which patrons pay only what they can afford, or can even volunteer in lieu of payment.
• Those who study such things say that all mammals, from rodents to elephants, urinate for approximately 21 seconds. This now is known as the “Law of Urination.”
• A poll conducted by Gallup determined that 42 percent of Americans believe that people are sometimes possessed by the devil.
• Scientists unearthed frozen 30,000-year-old plant tissue from fossil squirrel burrows in northeaster Siberia. This would not be remarkable, except for what came next: Researchers thawed the seeds and planted them. The seeds germinated and grew, producing viable seeds of their own, making Silene stenophylla the oldest viable multicellular living organisms.
• If you die without any friends or family to attend your funeral, Amsterdam is apparently the place to do it. In that city, a civil servant will provide flowers and a poet will compose a eulogy in verse for those who would otherwise make an unaccompanied and unmourned final journey.
• If you leave a cold glass on a table, it’s likely to leave a mark. The Italians (of course) have a word for that mark: cualacino.
Thought for the Day: “The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows.” — Aristotle Onassis
2013 King Features Synd., Inc.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Five candidates are running for three seats on the Garfield Re-2 school board this year.