Use communications center in Rifle for nonemergency calls |

Use communications center in Rifle for nonemergency calls

Dear Editor,

While everyone knows to call 911 in the case of any police, fire, or medical emergency, many may still be unsure of how to reach your public safety officials for nonemergency calls. If you sincerely believe that an issue is an emergency, or if in doubt, never hesitate to call 911. Beyond that, never feel that an issue is too unimportant to call us about. As far as Chief Taylor and the Silt Police Department are concerned, every call you make to us is of the utmost importance and will be handled as expeditiously as possible.

Unless a telephone call is specifically requested, Silt residents can expect to have an officer respond in person to your location for EVERY call. In Garfield County, all 911 calls are routed directly to the Communications Center in Rifle. As officers in many jurisdictions are usually out of the office handling calls or on patrol, nonemergency calls should also be made to the Communications Center by calling 625-8095. A dispatcher will take your information and direct it to the appropriate agency. Callers needing nonemergency service can also telephone their police agency directly. If we’re all out of the office on patrol or on assignments, callers will receive a message asking them to call the Communications Center. However, and especially after normal business hours, callers in most jurisdictions will almost always have a quicker response by calling the Communications Center directly. Most departments also have a voice mail system that will allow you to leave messages for specific officers. In Silt, that number is 876-2735. If we’re out of the office, a message will direct you to the appropriate extension, and we will get back to you as soon as we receive it. Silt’s police website is also a valuable source of public safety information (feel free to e-mail us). Check us out at We look forward to doing all we can to serve and protect you.

Silt Police Department

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User