Victim was knocked 6 feet in fatal drilling rig accident
A high-pressure gate valve that came off a leaky standpipe on a Cyclone rig north of Parachute early in the evening of Oct. 21 struck and killed Shane Hill, 34, of Grand Junction and blew his body 6 feet away from the valve, a state report says.
The rig was being operated for WPX Energy.
The accident report filed with the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission said that the rig’s day crew had tightened a leaking standpipe and fitted it with a new gasket. The day driller informed the night crew of the repair, but when the evening crew took over, the pipe began to leak again.
Operators decided to shut down and repair the leaking gasket. The crew began by attempting to dislodge a manifold to perform the repair. After several attempts to dislodge the manifold, the crew decided that removing a 2-inch fill-up flex line was necessary. Workers did that and replaced the gasket.
The manifold was put back in position and tightened. The rig manager gave the word for the driller to turn the pumps on and pressurize the system to allow the rig to resume drilling.
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
“Once the system was pressurized to 2,700 psi, the 2-inch high-pressure gate valve parted from the 2-inch high-pressure nipple on the standpipe, striking [Hill],” the report said.
Hill was struck on the back of the head, according to Garfield County deputy coroner Thomas Walton.
After the drilling fluid cleared, the crew reported finding Hill approximately 6 feet away from the valve. Efforts by crew members and emergency medical workers to revive him were unsuccessful, the report said.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
All schools in the Garfield Re-2 School District will require students and staff to wear masks indoors starting Sept. 27, the district announced Wednesday.