Week in Review
The Colorado Department of Transportation has said the Glenwood Springs Airport runway needs to be replaced in five to seven years to the tune of $500,000 to $1 million.The cost of runway replacement and discussion of a possible south bridge project have the potential to revive an old debate – should Glenwood Springs keep the airport or should it look at alternative uses for the space?”That’s been going on for as long as I can remember,” City Council member Dave Johnson said. “I think the constituencies are, ‘Wouldn’t land be put to better use for the city as a whole, how many people are we really serving, and where’s the argument for the real necessity of it?'”He said people should keep in mind that the public voted almost 10 years ago to keep the airport open, a decision that might need to be revisited in another vote. But he believes discussing all the options proactively would be a good thing. He said that there are some obvious issues that might come into play, such as housing and traffic.
GRAND JUNCTION – A judge set bond at $15,000 for a Rifle man accused in the hit-and-run death of a semi-truck driver.Mesa County Court Judge Craig Henderson also had a message to pass on from the family of 28-year-old James Wilson. “Your family would like you to know mom’s on the way from Louisiana,” Henderson told Wilson, who appeared in court Thursday via video conference from the Mesa County Jail.Wilson asked for a public defender.”It would have been difficult if not impossible to not realize you’d hit something,” Deputy District Attorney Richard Brown said.Dobson was crossing I-70 near Clifton around 7:20 a.m., running to help the driver of a sedan who’d just been involved in an accident with Dobson’s semi-truck, according to the Colorado State Patrol.Wilson’s Ford Ranger plowed into Dobson in the left, westbound lane of the interstate. The pickup sustained damage from the accident.Dobson was pronounced dead at the scene.An arrest affidavit alleges Wilson drove another 3,780 feet, stopped briefly on the shoulder, then continued another 510 feet west after hitting Dobson.
A man convicted of raping a 15-year-old Glenwood Springs High School student on graduation night in 1995 has been sentenced to seven years in prison.Javier Rojas Delgadillo, 33, received seven years in prison for a count of first-degree sexual assault. Two years of prison each for two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor will run concurrently.Delgadillo fled to Mexico after being accused of the rape in 1995. His attorney, Ted Hess, said it was because he was not receiving “zealous” representation. Delgadillo came back several years later and worked using false personal information. Detectives discovered his identity after a bad reaction to cocaine landed him in the hospital in April 2006 and his fingerprints matched outstanding warrants. A jury convicted Delgadillo of the three charges in February.Ninth Judicial District Judge Denise Lynch said the sentence would provide punishment, and also a chance for rehabilitation and treatment.”Instead of facing the charges at that time, you absconded and went back to Mexico to avoid prosecution, and that is a fact that this court cannot ignore,” Lynch said.About 10 family members and supporters of Delgadillo watched as he walked out of the courtroom Friday afternoon on his way to jail.
The Roaring Fork School District Re-1 starts the school year with an updated bullying policy and a unified set of guidelines for athletic events.Students still must sign a code of conduct and can be suspended or expelled if they violate it.Two negative events from last year were factors in precipitating the updates. Athletic officials refused to attend basketball games in Basalt for a weekend because of what they said were unruly crowds. And a parent accused Roaring Fork High School of doing nothing to stop a history of bullying there.”We took those two things into consideration when we did our annual review,” Re-1 Superintendent Judy Haptonstall said.The school district includes schools from Basalt to Glenwood.Haptonstall said the changes were mainly done to get things in print consistently across the district and to reiterate expectations.Sports officials refused to work basketball games in February after Basalt Mayor Leroy Duroux was ejected from a game. Some people thought that decision was unfair, but some thought it was representative of larger tensions between officials and Basalt crowds.
Authorities have lifted the ban on open burning in Garfield County.The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, working in conjunction with local fire departments and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, ended the ban on Friday.However, officials say dry grasses and fuels remain a danger, and extreme caution must be used when conducting burns.Any open burning requires a permit from your local fire department, or from the sheriff’s office if you live outside a fire protection district.
A Silt-area couple’s problems following a May 18 power surge at their home have only gotten worse, and no one has yet to accept any responsibility for the problem, the two say.Paul and Nanci Limbach have incurred $20,000 in expenses and eventually had to leave their home after a May 18 incident in which a truck clipped a power line on County Road 346 southwest of Silt. The distribution line, which reportedly belongs to Holy Cross Energy, came in contact with a 69,000-volt Xcel transmission line, sending the 69,000 volts into their home.The couple appeared before the Garfield County Energy Advisory Board Thursday night at the urging of Scott Brynildson, the board’s citizen representative for the Mamm Creek/Hunter Mesa area.”These people are out a lot of money, and they’re out of their home, and everyone’s passing the buck,” Brynildson said. “They’re getting run around and put out and it’s not their fault.”The May 18 jolt blew out appliances, burned out light sockets, caused flames to shoot out of satellite receivers, disabled phone service, melted telephones, burned holes in walls, and knocked fence and telephone poles out of the ground.The Limbachs initially tried to remain in the house after Holy Cross spliced a line to provide power. But the splice blew, and they decided to shut off the power and move out of the house, they said.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User