Willing to commit to a committee? | PostIndependent.com

Willing to commit to a committee?

Whether your interests run from trails to transportation, or alcohol licensing to zoning, the city of Glenwood Springs might be able to use your help.The city is seeking applicants from its residents for a number of vacancies on many of the citizen boards and commissions that help advise and govern Glenwood Springs.The city has 14 boards with 86 regular seats, and many of the boards have alternate seats as well, said city clerk Robin Unsworth.”It takes a lot of participation from the community to fill all those,” Unsworth said.Keeping these boards filled can be a challenge for several reasons. The terms of at least two members of each board expires each February. Also, the city’s municipal code limits board members to two terms of four years each, unless council deems a member to the board.Meanwhile, some board members resign before their terms end, sometimes because of a move out of the city, Unsworth said.The city’s current push for new applicants is to make up for these unexpected vacancies. Three of the boards are quasijudicial and need a quorum to operate. These include the Planning and Zoning Commission, the Board of Adjustment Appeals, and the Alcohol Beverage and Hearing Board.The Board of Adjustment Appeals, which hears appeals of city staff and P&Z decisions, has several vacancies. That means if one or two board members can’t make a meeting, it can’t take action.The city also is looking hard for people willing to serve on a new, ad hoc committee that is being asked to review the city’s transportation plan and develop traffic-calming policies, including promotion of walking and bicycling. City officials hope that group can make recommendations by the spring to the Transportation Commission, which will then offer advice to City Council.Work on city commissions is entirely an exercise in community service, as the members aren’t paid. But Unsworth said committee participation also gives residents a way to feel they have a voice in the community.Unsworth said she appreciates all those who have stepped forward to serve in the past.Usually, she said, people will volunteer after the city puts out the word about unfilled positions.”Our issue is letting people know that we do need their help and assistance and what boards are available to them,” she said.Contact Dennis Webb: 945-8515, ext. 516dwebb@postindependent.com

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User