Bullock’s meant quality | PostIndependent.com

Bullock’s meant quality

Frontier Diary
Willa Soncarty
Registrar, Frontier Historical Society and Museum
Photo Courtesy Frontier Historical SocietyAnn Bullock displays a formal gown to Molly Bradshaw in this 1954 Bullock's ad published in the Garfield County High School yearbook, "Yampah." Known for quality merchandise, Bullock's Department Store served Glenwood Springs for 60 years.
ALL |

“We plan to carry merchandise of the higher quality in all our stock, and will enlarge on it as quickly a possible.” This philosophy of brothers Albert and Grant Bullock started a Glenwood Springs clothing-store tradition.

The Bullock Brothers arrived in Glenwood Springs in 1944, and in September of that year announced their purchase of a 50-year-old Glenwood Springs business, the Wulfsohn Department Store. Although Wulfsohn’s Department Store would become “Bullock’s Department Store”, the high quality service and fine merchandise store customers had come to expect would be maintained and expanded by the Bullocks.

Bullock’s Department Store was located within the Hotel Glenwood building at 734 Grand Ave. The store’s location was considered the best in Glenwood Springs. This was true at least until the evening of Dec. 14, 1945.

It was during that December evening that the Hotel Glenwood burned in one of the town’s largest fires. Bullock’s Department Store was lost in the blaze.

Undaunted, the Bullocks re-established their business at 727 Grand Ave. In December 1949 Grant Bullock purchased the old Hotel Glenwood lots and constructed a new commercial building on the site. Bullock’s Department Store moved into the new building in 1951.

Through the years, Bullock’s Department Store carried inventory which included fine men’s and women’s clothing; pots, pans and notions; ski wear; and fine western wear. Over time, additional stores were established in several towns across the Western Slope.

In 1995 Bullock’s Department Store moved to 1526 Grand Ave., and in 2004 was sold, becoming the Rock’n Star Ranch Co.

“Frontier Diary” is provided to the Post Independent by the Frontier Historical Society and Museum, 1001 Colorado Ave., Glenwood Springs. Summer hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.