What does the State Board of Education do?
These are the powers and duties of the state board under the Colorado Constitution:
The Colorado State Board of Education is the governing board of the Colorado Department of Education. Within its jurisdiction, the State Board:
1. Provides educational leadership for the state;
2. Appoints the commissioner of education and the director of State Board Relations;
3. Employs personnel of the Department of Education;
4. Approves the Department of Education budget;
5. Makes rules, regulations and policies that govern the Colorado Department of Education, public education including pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, adult education and public libraries;
6. Accredits public school districts;
7. Facilitates the provision of library services to the citizens of Colorado through the State Library;
8. Distributes federal and state funds;
9. Regulates educator licensing;
10. Supervises adult basic education and public libraries;
11. Appoints advisory committees;
12. Grants waivers of Colorado education law and regulations;
13. Exercises judicial authority with regard to appeals by charter schools; and
14. Submits recommendations for educational improvements to the General Assembly and governor.
Before the board initiates any rulemaking, the Colorado General Assembly must first pass legislation authorizing the board to implement the legislation through rule.
Joyce Rankin of Carbondale is a member of the State Board of Education. “Across the Street,” a reference to the board meeting across the street from the Capitol, where her husband serves in the House, appears monthly.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
It has been well over a year since the COVID-19 pandemic changed all our lives dramatically. The social restrictions put in place to contain the pandemic have left most of us feeling exhausted and stressed…