Glenwood community has been generous
“We inherit from our ancestors gifts so often taken for granted … Each of us contains within … this inheritance of soul. We are links between the ages, containing past and present expectations, sacred memories and future promise.”- Edward Sellner So many people have given so many gifts to the community of Glenwood Springs. Some of these gifts came in the form of everyday items that speak backward to the past. In the early 1960s, a group of civic-minded individuals came together with the purpose of preserving Glenwood’s history for the future. This group, known as the Frontier Historical Society, collected photographs, manuscripts and artifacts representing this community’s history. The Frontier Historical Society’s purpose was the preservation of these items, while at the same time using them to educate a growing community about its rich heritage.The first artifacts were officially catalogued into the society’s collection in October 1963. George Weirick, a great promoter of entertainment in Glenwood Springs, was also a passionate collector of rocks and minerals. His collection spawned the documentation of artifacts donated to the new historical society. Subsequent donations would cover every aspect of life itself, come from numerous pioneer families, and chronicled the changing social times in the community.In May 1967, the Frontier Historical Society created the Frontier Historical Museum, housed in the building currently containing the offices of YouthZone on School Street. In preparation for this opening, the society called upon the community for donations of historic artifacts. Pioneer families responded generously. Among those was the Stephens family, who donated the saddle used by President Theodore Roosevelt during his 1905 bear hunt. Jackie Cabrinha donated the side saddle used by her grandmother, Mrs. John Hopkins. An 1883 etching of Glenwood Springs by Flora Maxfield, wife of Rifle founder Abram Maxfield, was also donated. In 1971, the Frontier Historical Society received one of its largest gifts, with the donation by Churchill and Stella Edinger Shumate of their home at 1001 Colorado Ave. Their personal effects, as well as those of their pioneer families, became part of a growing museum collection. Their house continues today to serve as Glenwood Springs’ Frontier Historical Museum.From its inception more than 40 years ago, the collection of the Frontier Historical Society has continued to grow, with thousands of artifacts, documents and photographs contained within the organization. This collection continues to expand every year with generous new donations. Each donation is appreciated, and thanks is given to those generous individuals too numerous to name here who believe and have believed in the preservation of the past for the future.”Frontier Diary” is provided to the Post Independent by the Frontier Historical Society and Museum, 1001 Colorado Ave., Glenwood Springs. Winter hours are 1-4 p.m. Monday and Thursday through Saturday. For more information, call 945-4448.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User