Glenwood’s postmaster lineage began in 1883
“The new post office at Barlow at Glenwood has not yet gone into operation, there being some red tape difficulty. At present the mail is kept at Mrs. Garrisons.” – Aspen Weekly Times, Sept. 1, 1883 For a settler to Glenwood Springs in the early 1880s, remaining connected with the outside world was difficult. Delivery of mail to the new frontier town was made by stagecoach, with efforts made to make deliveries timely and reliable. However, what was needed was a post office to serve the community.Caroline Ella Barlow took the first step toward establishing a post office in Glenwood Springs with her application on June 8, 1883, to the first assistant postmaster general in Washington, D.C. The office was to be named “Barlow.” Although she was never officially appointed postmaster, she and a Mrs. Garrison or Garretson took charge of the accurate receipt and sending of the local mail.In 1883, Lyman B. Mow, a school teacher by profession, was appointed Glenwood Springs’ first postmaster. Designated a fourth-class post office, Mow’s first post office was a small log cabin located near the intersection of today’s Minter Avenue and River Front Street. Mow was succeeded in 1884 by 44-year-old Michigan native Martin Van Buren Blood. A man with Aspen mining interests, Blood not only became postmaster but also brought the “exciting and exhilarating” game of croquet to recreation-starved residents. He moved the post office’s location to the site of today’s Hotel Denver and then departed to spend the winter of 1884 in the east. Former Carbonate postmaster Joe Pearce acted as postmaster in Blood’s absence. James H. Kerwin was appointed Blood’s successor in November 1885. His quiet term ended in 1887 with the appointment of James M. Clark. Clark moved the post office to 816 Grand Ave., remaining there until the appointment of Hartley C. Eaton in July 1889. A bookstore owner, Eaton moved the post office to the Eighth Street side of the First National Bank Building at 802 Grand Ave., sharing space with his store.When William T. Beans was appointed postmaster in July 1894, the position of postmaster was socially prominent. His operation of the post office set the tone for the operation of an entire community. However, soon after his appointment, Beans’ performance met with disapproval. Removed from office before the expiration of his term, Beans was replaced in July 1897 with British born Amelia Williams. A “long-suffering” community pleaded to have the post office open at 7:15 each morning so patrons could obtain their mail, and Glenwood’s first postmistress did not disappoint. Williams was the first in a series of progressive-minded postmasters. Her term ended in 1906 with the appointment of Olie Thorson, who brought home mail delivery to Glenwood Springs. Thorson was followed by Hiram W. Smith, 1914-22; Olie Thorson (reappointed), 1922-35; H. Thayer Hubbard, 1935-39; John B. Schutte, 1940-61; William Farnum, 1961-63; Ernest Alexander, 1963-74; E.J. Parsons, 1975; Howard F. Caywood, 1975-92; Theo Class (officer-in-charge), 1992-93; Jon R. Dunbar, 1993-2004; Keith Podbevsek, 2004-06; Adele Lujan-Teeters (officer-in-charge), 2007; and Philip J. Hice, 2007 to the present.The postmaster’s mission to keep the community connected to the outside world remains.”Frontier Diary” is provided to the Post Independent by the Frontier Historical Society and Museum, 1001 Colorado Ave., Glenwood Springs. Winter hours are 1-4 p.m. Monday and Thursday through Saturday. For more information, call 945-4448.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
In Garfield County, the three commissioners have decided that they themselves would be the sole members of our County Health Board. Given the fact that none of the commissioners have any medical or public health…