Grand Valley News
It’s a new year and time for renewed commitments to our family, our community and ourselves. Since this is a Parachute/Battlement Mesa community column, I thought I would outline some community involvement activities for your consideration.
– Love to read? Help our local branch library and enjoy informative and entertaining presentations at the monthly meetings. Call Holly at 285-9870 for more information.
– Stay-at-home mom of preschoolers? Bundle up the kids and head to the Parachute Branch Library at 10:30 a.m. every Wednesday for story hour.
– Are you a quilter, or have you always wanted to learn how to quilt? Join the Kid Curry Quilting Club, which meets at 10 a.m. every Thursday at the Activity Center. Bring your lunch.
– Are your kids all grown and gone, and you find yourself kind of missing watching basketball games or wrestling matches? The Cardinals Booster Club can use your help ” running the clock or scoreboard, watching doors, selling merchandise, etc. Call Dan Niedbalski at 625-7273 to sign up for games.
– Does your little girl love to dance ” usually in front of the TV? Direct that energy by enrolling her in a dance class. The Academy of Dance and Gymnastics offers classes at the Activity Center. Call 625-0551 to register.
– Ready for exercise? The Activity Center offers a wide range of opportunities including jazzercise, water aerobics, joint mobility, step jazz, swimming, weight training, etc. Call 625-9480 for days and times.
– Just want to share a meal and make some new friends? Lunch is served at 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday at the Senior Center in Parachute. Call 285-7216 to make a reservation.
– Rather do an evening meal? There’s a potluck at 5:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Activity Center. Just bring a dish to share and come on over.
– Have you noticed the cute caps and scarves everyone is wearing? Join the Happy Hooker Club at 1 p.m. every Thursday. This group of ladies is very willing to help you with a crochet or knitting project.
– Did the wife say no more poker in the house? The Poker Club at the Activity Center meets three times a week. Certainly, one of these times will fit your schedule. Call 625-9480 for more information.
– Do you play a musical instrument? The Hot Strings Band needs more musicians. Call Ken Larsen at 285-6654 for information.
– Are you a joiner? If so both the Kiwanis Club and the Lions Club are active in our community. Call Roy Brubacher at 285-6942 for Kiwanis information and Ken Larsen at 285-6654 for Lions Club information.
– You don’t have to be a business to join the Parachute/Battlement Mesa Chamber of Commerce. They meet at noon every second Thursday of the month at various locations. Call Sandy Yeager at 285-9050 for more information.
– Coaching can be fun and rewarding! The Parachute/Battlement Mesa Park and Recreation District is looking for basketball, wrestling, soccer, softball, baseball and tee-ball coaches. Give them a call at 285-0388.
These are only some of the opportunities for community involvement. Make a difference this year in yourself and your community by making a commitment to become involved.
Mary Moore’s column, “Grand Valley News,” appears every other Thursday. To contact Mary with a news tip, call her at 945-8525, ext. 108, or e-mail MooreMOMOF7@aol. com.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Sticks in the mud. Overly cautious. Obstacles to progress.