Letter: A73 plea from basement dweller
November 4, 2018
I am a local teacher and I live in my parents' basement — it's great for my finances, not so great for my dating life.
Without this parent-subsidized rental it would be very difficult to build a life in the valley. I've seen teachers leave our schools for higher-paying districts. I've watched job postings remain unfilled. Just this year alone I have participated in two interviews where the applicant had no teaching license and no previous teaching experience.
A yes vote on Amendment 73 will help attract (along with retain) qualified, talented and passionate teachers. I am incredibly thankful to teach in our valley; I feel the support of our families every day. However, not every teacher is lucky enough to have a basement like me.
Trending In: Opinion
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Garfield County crime briefs: Car theft, fast food, meth and undergarments
- Bundy’s escape forever a part of Garfield County history
- Roaring Fork public school teachers get pay raise
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair assaulted while canvassing