Letter: More facts
1. “Letters supporting climate science versus climate change denial should be 99:1”: Actually 69,000:0. Over 69,000 climate scientists published peer-reviewed papers, worldwide, in the past two years with 0 AGW “skeptics”/deniers among them (National Physical Sciences Consortium).
2. “The end result of no effective [climate] action is an uninhabitable planet.”: If we keep burning fossil fuels the oceans could boil away (National Geographic).
3. “A key policy is the carbon fee-and-dividend proposal of the Citizens Climate Lobby”: It’s not only the solution to climate change, it will also increase U.S. GDP $75-80 billion annually (citizensclimatelobby.org) and create a $50-trillion clean-energy industry (Bloomberg) with millions of good-paying, permanent (40-year), local jobs (Stanford University’s solutionsproject.org.)
4. “Fossil fuel interests will delay until they no longer are allowed to do so”: Carbon fee-and-dividend can tax them out of existence within the next decade and give all the tax money to the taxpayers.
5.“We Boomers have failed [millennial].”: Boomers are not done yet. Many, like me, are now leading the charge as citizen lobbyists with the Citizens Climate Lobby, both in Washington and in our congressional reps’ district offices.
6. “Parents, have one less child”: Global demographics will change drastically by 2030, assuming climate change doesn’t derail economic progress in developing countries that’s already beginning to bend the demographic curve downward (See TED Talk by Has Rosling).
6. “Eat a plant-based diet”: Good advice, but not likely to be taken by people in developing countries just beginning to enjoy being carnivores. Meat-eating accounts for 15-18 percent of global warming.
It’s much easier to get people to do things by rewarding them rather than denying them things. That’s the great thing about carbon fee-and-dividend. It rewards consumers and taxpayers rather than just making them pay higher energy prices. Burning fossil fuels accounts for 80 percent of global warming (skepticalscience.org).
7. “Don’t use air travel”: It accounts for 4-9 percent of global warming. Biofuels can change that. Carbon fee-and-dividend would use market forces to make that happen soon.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.